Trips & Events
Current Trip Information
You must be a current member of Desert Survivors to join in with one of these trips. Each membership applies to one individual adult. For reasons of liability insurance coverage each adult trip participant must have his or her own individual membership. Children 17 years and younger participating on a trip will be covered by the adult parent or legal guardian's Desert Survivors membership. Trip participants are required a sign a relase of liability form at the beginning of each trip.
If you are new to Desert Survivors or contemplating joining one of our interesting desert trips as a new member please read General Trip Information at the bottom of this page.
Many of our popular trips, particularly car camps on three-day holiday weekends, tend to fill early and quickly, so plan accordingly. We ask that if you do secure a reservation with a trip leader, please be sure to use it, but if you cannot keep the reservation then advise the trip leader immediately to allow someone on standby to take the open slot.
Other backpacking trips tend not to fill to maximum at all times and may have an open space or two. If you find yourself with an open weekend and want to join in, try phoning or emailing the trip leader, space may still be available.
Most of our trip leaders ask that you contact them directly by telephone. This enables the leaders to assess your skills and abilities and to answer any questions or concerns that you may have. Your safety and enjoyment while on the trip is just one of their many concerns. They want you have fun and the trip to be a rewarding experience. This also enables the trip leaders to build a "balanced group" that will enhance everyone's enjoyment of the trip.
Upon securing a slot for the trip you will be emailed additional information concerning the meeting area, carpooling, last minute changes, etc.
Click here for your Overnight Backpacking Checklist.
SINCE MARCH 2020 ALL DESERT SURVIVORS TRIPS AND EVENTS HAVE BEEN SUSPENDED DUE TO THE CORONAVIRUS EPIDEMIC.
Trip leaders may add trips during the schedule period. Refer to this webpage for updates. Ratings: (E) EASY (M) MODERATE (S) STRENUOUS
UPCOMING TRIPS AND EVENTS
GENERAL TRIP INFORMATION:
• As noted in trip write-ups above, some leaders have set limits to the number of participants.
• Sign-ups are first come, first served. A waiting list will be maintained to fill any spaces that arise due to drop-outs. Please notify the leader ahead of time if you are dropping out.
• Desert Survivors encourages trip participants to carpool as a means to increase driver safety while reducing costs, energy consumption nad environmental impacts. Trip participants are responsible for making their own carpool arrangements. Desert Survivors recommends that trip participants make equitable arrangements to share costs, and all arrangements and financial compensation should be clearly negotiated in advance.
• Desert Survivors' trips begin at the designated trailhead. While trip participants are expected to cooperate with the trip leader, each participant is responsible for his or her own safety. In particular, trip participants are responsible for safely transporting themselves to and from trip locals.
• Firearms are not allowed on any Desert Survivors activities (trips, events, meetings.)